Garage doors may be a common appliance in our lives, but they are not always as straight forward or simple as they look. Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding Arm-R-Lite garage doors as well as general garage door questions from our industry.
Sectional Garage Door Frequently Asked Questions
What is headroom?
- Headroom is determined by measuring the space from the top of the garage door opening up to the lowest obstruction on the inside of the header wall. For example: If there is nothing between the top of the opening to the ceiling, then the ceiling would be the lowest obstruction. This measurement is used to determine the track type and set up required for a specific application. A garage door cannot be properly installed without sufficient headroom.
What is R-Value?
- R-Value is a measure of thermal resistance used in the building and construction industry. The higher the R-value of a product, the better the insulating performance.
What is the difference between polystyrene and polyurethane insulation in garage doors?
- Polystyrene offers a much lower insulation value than polyurethane and is most often used in making disposable coffee cups. Polyurethane expanding foam insulation in aluminum and glass garage doors is unique to Arm-R-Lite and is incorporated into our Energy Efficiency Package.
Why are Arm-R-Lite garage doors different than what other manufacturers make?
- Arm-R-Lite is the only garage door manufacturer that welds our aluminum extrusions. All other manufacturers use weaker fabrication methods such as self tapping screws or thru-bolts in their aluminum and glass doors. Thru-bolts and screws weaken over time, resulting in sagging sections and a shorter operating life for a garage door. Welded sections do not separate and will keep sections together for decades. Due to our exclusive construction method our garage doors consistently out perform against our competitors models and come with an unmatched 20 year welded frame warranty. For more information on what makes Arm-R-Lite different than other overhead door manufacturers, check out our Arm-R-Lite Advantage page.
I was told 1″ thick insulated glass is not available in aluminum and glass garage doors. Is that true?
- Not true at all. Arm-R-Lite’s welded aluminum garage door models can accommodate up to 1″ thick insulated glazing safely and securely. No other manufacturer can offer 1″ thick insulated glass in their aluminum and glass sectional doors which would account for the confusion.
What is the difference between your Titan Model and your Electra Model?
- For a comparison of our Electra and Titan models, please click here.
How do I find an Arm-R-Lite dealer?
- To find an Arm-R-Lite dealer in your area, please contact us at 908-754-2600 or reach out to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have a really old Arm-R-Lite welded aluminum door, can I still get replacement parts for it?
- Yes you can. Arm-R-Lite tags all of our doors with serial or WO#s which allow us to look up the original paperwork from when your door was first fabricated. We can manufacture replacement sections, tracks, and parts to match your original door. While competing manufacturers discontinue or modify their doors for cost benefits, Arm-R-Lite has manufactured our welded aluminum doors constantly for more then 50 years! Arm-R-Lite will never abandon our customers by phasing out our welded models. If you need a replacement part, please click here. It doesn’t matter if our door was installed 30 years ago or 3 weeks ago, Arm-R-Lite has your back.
I want my aluminum garage door to match a specific color, can you do that?
- Yes. Arm-R-Lite aluminum garage doors are available with either custom Kynar®/Duranar® finishes, RAL powdercoat finishes, or anodized finishes. If you can provide us with a color swatch, we can match it, or come as closely as possible, with a custom Kynar®/Duranar® 20 year warranty finish.
What are the requirements of your ADA Compliant Pass Door?
- Arm-R-Lite’s exclusive ADA Compliant Pass Door is available in either the Titan or Custom CI aluminum and glass models only. For a full set of requirements please visit our ADA Pass Door page or contact our sales and customer service department.
If you did not see your question above or if you feel an explanation is not complete, please feel free to contact our sales and customer service department. We would be glad to help you regarding Arm-R-Lite garage doors or any general garage door questions you might have.